Straighten Up Boy







We can all agree that a worthy education can make all the difference in the life of any child in any land. The earlier the education begins the better it will be for the family, the community and especially the child. This means a little person's education should begin at home, meaning the family, neighbors and anyone else the child has a love connection with up to and beyond enrollment into school.

My mother was a teacher for eighteen years prior to her death in 1983. The love and effort she put into her classroom where she taught so many young minds came from love. It also severely limited the amount of patience she had at home. One of her employment positions was as an instructor and believer in the original Head Start program. Although I too attended the classroom where she worked as a teachers aid it is doubtful I was actually on any legitimate paperwork. By the time I got the hang of calling out Mrs Collard rather than Mama, the jig was up.

Carol Collard believed in her work and embraced this task with every cell in her body. As near as I can tell, the only real employment she ever had was with the Compton Unified School District. She gave all of herself until there was nothing left to give and died prematurely at the young age of 54, lost to the ravages of breast cancer.

As negro children (negro, the common term for African American in the 60's) when first stepping into school we were indirectly and many times openly told who we are, how little we are valued and how low the "expectations" were for us as individuals and as a community. In my youth the vast majority of the teachers in LA County public  schools were Caucasian females most of whom seemed ill equipped or just plain impatient when it came to handling intelligent, hi-energy black boys. Our parents were hardworking and active when it came to the school and the education it provided. Our mothers were OK with letting another neighborhood mom discipline their children boys in particular when one or more of us had clearly lost our minds. The two mothers on the block my close friend and I had to deal with were "Crazy" Carol Collard and "Mad" Marie Mickens...watch out.

But it wasn't just the moms on the block who would step in to correct us. Be prepared to get called out at the local market, from parents on another block while walking a friend home or even guest visitors at school.

From 1968 to 1972 I attended a small private school in the City of Compton, California. My time at First Christian Day School on Santa Fe Ave hold some of my happiest childhood memories. The principal was Mr Butler a stern masculine man who ran a tight ship and was a natural with little children. Mr Butler seemed to have lots of accomplished personal friends some of whom he would ask to visit the school and speak to the students and staff during Chapel. One such friend who would show up every year to rehearse and perform with us was the Queen of Gospel Mahalia Jackson. <--(video)

Every Monday we would attend Chapel for a time of praise and worship after which would begin rehearsals for the scheduled upcoming monthly performance. Singing and recitals alone and in groups I grew to dislike it all to the point where once I began attending public schools a failing grade was preferred over speaking in front of the class. I was that fed up with it all. (One would think it would have made me more outgoing yet the introvert side took the lead)


One Monday chapel rehearsal for some parent-teacher function things went long and of course, you can guess the mischief some of us were getting into on stage. A little push here then a shove and the next thing I know my elbow slams into Mrs Jackson right thigh.


 Mahalia Jackson 1911 - 1972

"Straighten up boy, the evil one is always watching you and he means you No good". After barking these words in my direction, she straight away returned to giving instructions. My little black behind thought it best to do what I was told.

Besides being an adult on the scene, Mrs Jackson carried herself with such authority that everyone including any adult stood down to her even if she had nothing to do with the particular performance we were working on at the time. Plus her singing voice was one where a microphone was not just unnecessary but overkill.  Accompanied by a piano an organ or four piece ensemble Mrs Jackson would sometimes turn her back to the crowd all the while continuing in song. Her voice so full of the Spirit she could be heard above and beyond all the musicians, any other voices on stage and those in the congregation. This woman had pipes.


There are few people in my life who have made a difference with just one sentence. Mrs Jackson was one of them. A few weeks ago this experience came to mind and my thoughts drifted back to a strong, landmark time in the past. Those school days were filled with singing praise, always in the Word and prayer, habits that drifted away after a few years of public school and too much freedom in my teens.

As an adult I have long sense become recommited to my faith yet now have a new commitment to not so much an increase in the amount of worship and study but primarily to grab hold of the childlike wonder that originally birthed OddCollard.



I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. Psalms 104:33


Bruce P Collard -


You can be You, reach your Dreams serve God & still Enjoy Life



Now It's My Turn | Rise Above the Ordinary:

Although written for young adults or teens who due to circumstances beyond their control were without emotional or financial support ANYONE CAN MAKE USE OF THESE PRINCIPLES.

DOWNLOADS -

Amazon US -  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8PN4ZC

Amazon Canada - http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0


Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Amazon Australia - http://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Amazon India - http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0


Check out OddCollard:

(@PBpcollard)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As the World Changes I Remain Flexible

The Good Doctor Pt-2

A Day in the Life of an Event Staff Employee or, What Ever Happened to the Other Guys?