Invest In Yourself




In my perfect world, I would have worked for my Dad. He wasn't a business owner as far as I knew, but he lived considerably well for his circumstance as I understood it to be. Dad, Pettibone Bruses Collard, provided me with my very first idea of what it was like for a man to create his living conditions to his own satisfaction. First and foremost, he was married to a woman whom I believe became a friend on a level that made their connection unbreakable. Weekends with Dad were full of new stuff to learn at every turn. From music to food to plain conversation, weekends and summer vacations were always worth the wait.

My father lived in a three bedroom, two-and-a-half bath home in the hills of Altadena, California. The entire back of the house was floor-to-ceiling glass with a canyon view of Los Angeles. The backyard garden was designed almost as if it was meant to be a mini-park. This included a seven-foot concrete street lamp that brought old world Los Angeles charm to the entire scene. A pine tree stood forty to fifty feet high and seemed like a redwood to my little body. There was also an oak tree that stood just in the right spot, providing shade to both the office and the master bedroom. As an assistant bank manager, the use of a company car was always in my father’s contract. There was always a vehicle for his wife who worked part-time and a must-have sports or performance car for himself. That man loved his Porsche.

My oldest sister was responsible for my dad’s bookkeeping for quite a few years in the 70s. On numerous occasions, while in conversation about family history, she mentioned his income to only be $12,000 a year. To me, this number didn't make sense, not even back in 1975, and I found it all difficult to believe. How could he live like he did along with all the medical bills piling up for his wife and himself? Then it occurred to me, he must have had some other sources of income outside of his bank position. After that revelation, I began to look back on the things he did and said that I would intentionally imitate even to this day.



Networking and the Barter System

Both of my older sisters obtained at least one vehicle through one of my father’s connections where relatively little or no money changed hands. I remember listening to our mechanic telling me some of his thoughts on my dad and how he appreciated their friendship. This man gladly did repairs for free, or at least accepted payment at a much later date. Once, when my dad explained to me why our mechanic and others were so willing to work with him--even at the tender age of six--I knew this was something I wanted to imitate. The secret, Dad did things for FREE. When it came to helping out other people, if he had the means in his possession or knew someone else who did, then he would gladly step up.




At the time, I saw it as giving aid for aid in return at a later date. So in middle school, I remember utilizing this “tool” by giving away candy. I would spend about fifty cents a day on chocolate for myself and Jolly Ranchers to give out to others. There were around seven little squares in a pack, and the classes that gave me the most difficulty are where I would give away the candy.  When disbursing to classmates, I shared not just with those who could help me but also those who I really didn't like or whom I knew didn't particularly care for me. The fruits of this action were apparent immediately. Help with homework a pen or a pencil whenever I needed it. I would never want for anything in either of those classes, but I also made sure to never abuse what I had established. This was the first of many times I would put this strategy into action.

Dad passed on in the early 90s. His memorial service was a major learning experience for me. For the first time, I saw a view of my father through the eyes of people he worked and played with. Friends and co-workers spoke of him with nothing but love and admiration. After the memorial service, several co-workers called me directly out of the clear blue to tell me a little about my father. One in particular, I believe her name was Betty, called to share details of his relationships with others that she was sure I didn't know. She expressed how much he cared for his employees, how much he went out of his way to help people, and she seemed to know that I needed to hear all of this. It seemed everyone loved this man. Unfortunately, because I was not raised with him, I never saw any of this in our relationship with each other and honestly was quite taken aback.

As time went on and I would take periodic assessments of my life, it hit me like a shot. Although aid and gifts from others are always appreciated, Dad’s reason for giving was never to receive anything in return. My father was a giver simply because it was in his make-up as a person to be a giver. Just in the simplicity of being himself and helping others, people genuinely loved him and would let him know it.

Giving for the sake of giving. This is one of the life altering lessons that changed my way of thinking and forever changed my view of trade, people, and the human spirit, although its full meaning did not register until I was much older. I wish I could have had at least one adult conversation with my father, but I'll gladly settle for this diamond treasure he first showed me at six years of age.

I consider my dad to be my first achievement mentor. Thank you Dad, and thanks for not making me a Junior. That would have been an additional cross to bear that I could live without.


〰 Bruce Collard Now It's My Turn


#youngcubiclesoldier


You can be You, reach your Dreams serve God & still Enjoy Life



Now It's My Turn | Rise Above the Ordinary:

Although written for young adults or teens who due to circumstances beyond their control were without emotional or financial support ANYONE CAN MAKE USE OF THESE PRINCIPLES.

DOWNLOADS -

Amazon US -  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8PN4ZC

Amazon Canada - http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0


Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Amazon Australia - http://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Amazon India - http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00I8PN4ZC?*Version*=1&*entries*=0


Check out OddCollard:

TWITTER - (@PBpcollard): https://twitter.com/PBpcollard?s=09

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As the World Changes I Remain Flexible

The Good Doctor Pt-2

A Day in the Life of an Event Staff Employee or, What Ever Happened to the Other Guys?